Saturday, December 4, 2010

It's been a week

I'll apologize now that this seems more like a journal entry.  It really has been a week, it started last Saturday when I had this moment that I really needed my mom.  She just wasn't really available so I called my husband in tears wishing he wasn't working that evening.  The following day was hectic at church; you know one of those days where you spend most of your time shuffling one child to the bathroom, changing another, or just in the hall because the one who just learned to walk is determined to make it up those stairs to the pulpit or the one who knows how to sit still is just totally wild.  I had my hands full as officer left just after sacrament meeting for work (That is normal for us - sometimes I don't think many people realize that he has to leave each week because of his work schedule).  I was in the foyer with above mentioned children when a sister from our ward was leaving with her family because they received one of those phone calls you never want to be on the receiving end.  My heart just broke for them as I learned later that evening that their son had been killed.  Needless to say, it brings about a lot of reflection on my own life and family and how fleeting mortality is.

The following day I was exhausted, I am on most Mondays, it's our family's Friday.  Officer had worked well over his regular hours and I'd hardly seen him for 5 days.  I put the kids to bed and decided to snuggle in front of my fireplace and give myself a  much needed pedicure while I can still reach my toes.  Within just a few minutes as I was snuggle just a foot or so away - our gas fireplace exploded and the glass shattered.  The majority of the glassed remained in the frame, but small glass shards were still spit in my direction; of course I jumped up turned it off, but I didn't want to touch the thing to turn out the pilot light.  I called officer to come rescue me.  There are benefit to being able to call 911 and know that dispatch knows who your husband is and loves the cookies/cinnamon rolls you send their way on occasion.  Officer was able to come home briefly and brought the fire department with him just to be sure that there was no gas leak and they were kind enough to remove the glass for me.  Gratefully my children had been in bed, gratefully I was unharmed, gratefully the explosion did not damage anything other than the glass, but I didn't sleep that night even after Officer got home from work. 

Tuesday is kind of grocery shopping clean up house, laundry, run errands day as well as adding finding someone to fix the fireplace/calling our homeowners ins, etc. and then Officer had to work that evening until midnight.  Most of the time I can get it all done, but I was beat by that evening.  I fell asleep on the couch waiting for officer to come home and woke up to Miss peanut screaming.  As I half awake wandered toward her room I see this figure down the hall coming toward me - I seriously almost put some kung fu panda kind of moves on him - he scared me half to death.  It took me a few seconds to wake up and  realize it was Officer.   

Wednesday - I made this yummy pot of chili that cooked all day.  It had snowed, um like 8+ inches and we didn't have much planned - it was really quite nice.  There have been a lot of families in our ward that you just want to help in whatever way you can and Officer decided that he would shovel some driveways for a few of them.  I was supposed to have cub scouts, but we canceled it because of the snow, so unofficially Officer took our cub scouts with him (with parents permission of course) and he had extra helping hands/shovels with that service.  I'm grateful he enjoys doing those things for others and also setting an example for those scouts.  I made yummy homemade bread that afternoon and just as I'm letting it raise to put in the oven...Handsome, who since learning to walk 2 weeks ago has decided that he must climb everything, fell off a chair in the kitchen for probably the 4th time for the day this time catching his upper lip on the kitchen table as he went down.   It bled forever it seemed like and we decided that we should probably take him in just to make sure that he didn't need stitches.  His lip and gums were pretty swollen and I'm just hoping that he didn't kill his 2 front teeth - poor guy has only had them for like a 2 months and can you see it now - every picture missing his 2 teeth until he's like 6...Anywho - gratefully no stitches, just a sad little guy with a busted bruised fat lip. Bread - salvageable, but not my best, covered in chili it didn't matter.

So glad for Thursday - Gratefully - officer found someone to cover the overtime shift he was scheduled for and I was able to attend a craft/chat night with some great girls from our ward. I was even able to make and finish one of my many unfinished projects.  It's been months since I've been able to do that because they are usually on a weekend during Officer's normal work week.  I really loved being able to have a fun evening and get to know some of the girls better.       

Friday I had to take my kids in to the doctor for their regular check-ups/immunizations, that is never much fun, and then after a deep breath we were back to the work week for officer.  Long night - teething, cranky, sore kids, tired mommy...morning came to early.
   
Today we attended the funeral for the young man of the family in our ward.  What an amazing and strong family they are.  We admired them and were so grateful for the help that the family had been to us as we planned Trek last summer -  but watching them come through this past week...we admire them that much more. I'm sure they will have many rough weeks ahead, but I know that they have great faith. 

It hasn't been a horrible week by any means - but just exhausting in every way.  Tonight as I was getting my kids out of the tub and ready for bed - I realized how truly tired I was.  I'm almost embarrassed to share, but not really cause I know you mommies out there have probably done the same thing.  I pulled Handsome out of the tub first and began to dress him - what comes first - the diaper of course...It took me several seconds to process that the pretty panties I had put him in were just not right - and then I laughed so hard for the longest time - and even harder again as I tried to retell Officer when he called to see how the evening was going.  With that said, I'm grateful to start a new week.

3 comments:

Mrs. Doctor said...

Oh Mrs. Officer!! What a crazy week. It sounded so familiar! I've even called 911 when my husband showed up in the night. :) Please call me anytime you need to talk. Great job on the cake!

Micah and Melinda said...

LOLOLOL I love your last little story so funny! Pink panties on Handsome, I constantly put mase's diapers on Miles and vice versa...Glad you survived you week! Hope things are looking up!

The Lowe Family said...

WOW! Talked the other night and Officer didn't mention the fireplace explosion. Holy Cow. That would freak me out. I'm so glad you all were okay. I hate weeks like that. It makes us appreciate the calm though huh? Love ya.