Saturday, August 13, 2011

Grandma Izzy

I have hundreds of memories of my grandma; I've been thinking about a few of them.
  • she makes handmade chocolates, I still want to learn how to do that from her.
  • I remember sneaking eclairs from the fridge in the spider room when we were visiting for my aunt Jana's wedding - they were so good.
  • I have a picture of me as a little girl wearing her shoes 
  • Playing dress up in her costume jewelry.
  • The old barbie collection she let us play with as kids.
  • she took us swimming in the summer, a lot.
  • she took us to see plays,  I've tried to start doing that with Miss Peanut.
  • she taught us card games; golf, hand and foot, canasta.
  • I make gooshy cinnamon toast because of her.
  • she took us shopping when we stayed with her in the summers, sometimes to Park City.
  • I think I got some of my thriftiness from her, she is always watching ads for sales whether its groceries or clothes.
  • She came to my college graduation
  • I lived with her during two summer internships I had, one right before I got married.  I really appreciated that time I was able to spend with her.  She even let me trim and paint her toenails once during that time.
  • We visited my Grandpa's gravesite together.  I can't imagine how hard some times have been for her since he passed away.
  • She makes yummy chocolate fudge for ice cream.
  • She let Officer and I do laundry at her house  for months when we first got married and didn't have a washer/dryer.
  • We were able to meet up with her for lunch once when we had a layover in Salt Lake.
  • We've been able to stay with her numerous times over the years when we've been in town to visit.  I'm glad all my kids have met her.  
  • I was so grateful that she came to Cupcake's blessing and Officer's award ceremonies in April.

That is just a handful I can think of right off.  I've been thinking that I need to make a trip to visit her for a while. I don't really think that it is coincidence that people are on our mind, I just need to remember to act on those impressions sooner when I have them.  I'm at such a busy point in my life right now with little kids;  time just speeds up and before you know it,  I've been intending to call or plan a trip to visit for weeks or months.  I found out yesterday that my grandma has a tumor near her pancreas.  We won't know how serious for another week or so, but never really a good thing.  I called her after that.  She told me she had just had a dream that past night about me and my family. She probably couldn't tell, but I cried.  We had a nice chat,  I could tell that she hasn't been feeling well - a little more tired.   She's 81 now.  As I knelt to pray last night many of my thoughts were of her and what a strong woman she is and the example she has been for me.      This news just made me stop and realize that we take so many people for granted, they are just always there, and someday they may not be.  So if you haven't recently tell them you love them.

1 comment:

Linds said...

I remember your grandma. She is such a sweet lady. (((HUGS)))