Friday, September 16, 2011

When I leave this frail existence...

When I leave this frail existence,
When I lay this mortal by,
Father, Mother, may I meet you
In your royal courts on high?
Then, at length, when I've completed
All you sent me forth to do,
With your mutual approbation
Let me come and dwell with you.

These are touching words in the final verse of the hymn O My Father, but more than that they were words to a hymn that my Grandma Izzy held dear.  Just a few weeks before she passed away I was able to take my little family down to visit her.  Although she was quite ill,  I was able spend a little while quietly sitting at her bedside.  I sat holding my baby in one hand and her hand in the other.  I will never forget those moments with her;  she was at peace in her life because she had lived it faithfully, she had been away from her husband for nearly 20 years, and she was at peace with what lay ahead for her both in this life and beyond.  I felt that peace from her; I wanted so much to just stay with her a little longer and listen to her.  It was just a matter of just a couple of weeks before she passed away and it wonderful see all of her Children, Grandchildren, and Great-grand children come together.  What an amazing influence one woman can have on so many.  She was so loved and will be greatly missed, but we know that it will not be for too long.           

1 comment:

Jalaine Lassek said...

It is amazing the influence one person can have. Grandparents are very special, and by cherishing those memories she will continue to influence those around. I'm sorry for your lose, hugs and prayers to you and your family.